Deputised by the Digital Engineering Manager as the Lead Developer you will be responsible for the day-to-day performance, productivity, and growth of the development team. You will lead by example to drive quality, whilst helping to ensure that we are delivering stable, performant, secure and scalable solutions to our customers. You will develop your team and guide engineers to build and produce better solutions.
Your experience enables you to blend technical know-how with people leadership so that your team are inspired to go above and beyond and really push their careers forward. Whilst still involved with our technology stack, your primary passion and focus is on seeing engineers progress and wanting to create an environment where individuals can create/maintain/support learn good practices and make sure your team takes accountability learn and flourish. People development is at the heart of this role, and you should be driven by seeing your team progress their skills, experience, and their careers.
Based in Southampton, England
- Ensure that your team are adhering to our software development principles and quality standards so that work is done to a high standard
- Understand in depth and be able to convey the importance of principles of good software design so that we can produce good quality software at pace.
- Understand in depth and be able to convey the importance of technical practices we use here at Kingfisher (such as TDD and Pair programming) so that we are working consistently and can reap the benefits of these practices.
- Encouraging an open mindset
- Advocate learning and taking the time to do so personally, so others follow
- Identifying headcount needs, as well as planning and recruiting as needed.
In addition to people development responsibilities, everyday activities will typically include:
- Working across multiple agile teams, advising, mentoring and line managing software engineers
- Act as an escalation point for Scrum Teams, unblocking technical or project related issues to maintain delivery progress.
- Support the Engineering Manager with resourcing and other day to day management duties, deputising for them when required
- Maintain high performing teams by driving continuous improvement of engineering and agile practices and standards
- Be an active member of the Kingfisher Technical Community to help define development processes, and code quality standards, also serve as a technical leader within the organisation
- Establish a culture of trust and collaboration across the development teams and other business functions
- Champion agile practices and be a coach and mentor to the team
- Team leadership and people development (covering, line management, coaching, and mentoring)
- Communicates clearly with a considered and empathetic approach
- Holds in-depth knowledge and is an advocate of TDD and pair programming to develop scalable and maintainable applications.
- Demonstrates a good understanding of programming through building quality, performant, and secure solutions.
- Has the ability to interpret digital/business strategy and can help drive teams towards goals when crafting solutions
- Is a strong influencer both inside and outside of their team.
- Is experienced and comfortable in building lasting and collaborative relationships both inside and outside of their team.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- PTO and family leave
- Retirement plans